Diversions

Lost in the Trees finds a new sense of self

In music, change is a double-edged sword. On one hand, evolution is necessary. In order to stay relevant, artists must constantly refine and alter their sound to offer something fresh and current to their audience. But if a band changes too much, it runs the risk of losing its original fan base.

Chapel Hill-based band Lost in the Trees found itself in this dilemma . After two full-length records of orchestral pop, frontman and creative leader Ari Picker knew it was time for the band to shift its musical direction.

“It wouldn’t be fair to the fans, to the band, or to myself to continue down the same path,” Picker said. “The artists I listen to change as well. It only seems natural to keep pushing ourselves and exploring musically.”

Even if change is natural, the band’s newest album, Past Life, is a daring leap. Gone are the orchestrally dense, “academic” songs. Instead, the band pares down the instrumentation on the record and goes for a more minimalistic approach.

“‘Less is more’ was the theme for the album,” Picker said.

Although Picker knew change was necessary, the band’s departure from its hallmark acoustic orchestral folk blend towards more straightforward electro-pop wasn’t an immediately easy transition.

“Nicolas helped me resist adding unneeded elements to the songs,” Picker said.

Vernhes was introduced to the band when Anderson sent him Lost in the Trees’ previous work. “I liked their old work but was also interested in the new direction they were taking,” Vernhes said.

Although the minimalistic approach might not have initially come naturally to the band, the new style allowed it to emphasize each element of the song.

“Because the songs are less dense, there is less in the sonic picture, and each texture is more audible to the listener,” Picker explained. Vernhes added, “ The aesthetics create something very cold and spacious.”

A new direction musically also means a change to the band’s composition. Since the band no longer leans on orchestral strings and horns, Lost in the Trees has slimmed down to a more conventional rock quartet.
Although a bit jarring at first, Picker said he doesn’t necessarily see the lineup change as negative.

“Now we are more of a traditional rock band. We have drums and electric guitars, and we’re more suited for the clubs that we’ve been playing in all along,” Picker said. “The shows definitely have different feel to them, a different kind of energy.”

Not surprisingly, some of fans have come to recent Lost in the Trees shows and left disappointed by what they witness.

“I’ve had some people come up to me after shows and ask me ‘Where are all the strings?,’” Picker said.
But Picker said he understands that this is natural in such a transition.

“I know that we are also picking up new fans with our change in sound. Of course, there are still plenty of original fans who are appreciative of our musical progression, too.”

Anderson joked, “ For the first time, people have been dancing at our shows instead of crying.”
“There’s a grandiose, visceral sound that people relate to with Ari’s music. I think they’re able to connect even more now.”

Picker’s change in direction on Past Life isn’t limited to the instrumentation, but includes the lyrics and themes on the record as well. After creating two personal albums, the most recent revolving around the suicide of Picker’s mother, he decided to take a step back from the lyrics.

“I wanted to remove myself from being the focal point of the lyrics this time around. Past Life is thematically more abstract, and purposefully so,” Picker said.

“I wanted to make an album that is more universal and relatable to listeners.” While Picker changed the scope of his lyrics, he said that many of his past motifs are still on the record.

“I still use some of the same imagery. There are spiritual moments on the album. I ask a lot of questions that I don’t necessarily answer. It’s more about coexisting and learning to live with these questions,” Picker said.

As Lost in the Trees gears up to return to Carrboro and Cat’s Cradle, Picker will ask locals one final question: are you ready for change?

Tomorrow, he’ll get his answer.