Diversions

Movie Review: Pompeii

Pompeii
???

“Pompeii” is a movie of epic proportions. With battle scenes, fireballs and romance, audiences everywhere have some aspect to take pleasure in. Yet, can a movie fully be enjoyed when most audiences already know the ending?

The film is well done with good special effects and a well-built plot line. It definitely has its awkward moments, but there is still value in them. Building a connection with the characters from the movie is what distinguishes it from other movies based on historical events.

“Pompeii” features the story of Milo (Kit Harington), a gladiator living with fury in his heart and the desire for revenge on Rome for the destruction of his family. He brings himself to the forefront by being the best of his kind. He even catches the eye of the beautiful Cassia (Emily Browning) who recently returned from a trip to Rome. However, problems arise when a Roman senator, Corvus (Kiefer Sutherland), arrives to invest in architectural plans by Cassia’s father but changes plans at the discovery of her newfound relationship.

Harington does well in playing a complex character taunted by his conflicted feelings of living life for a great future or letting it go because of a dark past. Browning does well in complementing Harington as a love interest. Sutherland once again does not fail to fit his character to a tee; however, that might not be considered a compliment for his role in “Pompeii”.

The downside to the movie is seen in its blatant similarities to other movies of its genre. It is a continuation of the story of a warrior intertwined with the desire for revenge and a touch of romance. It almost seems like a remake of “Gladiator” but with a volcano added to it.

“Pompeii” is a good movie that is worth watching, even with an expected ending. For the most part it does well in keeping audiences entertained, but does have its mediocre and pointless moments, like scenes of Milo and Cassia working with a horse.

The question is whether or not “Pompeii” will come to the same fate as the city it features — will it go up in flames?

Jeremy Wile