Diversions

Q&A with Daniel Bachman

Instrumentalist Daniel Bachman went on his first European tour in 2011. Since then, he’s been on the road almost nonstop — and he’s only 24. Originally from Fredericksburg, Va., Bachman moved to Chapel Hill recently in hopes to eventually attend UNC. He talked to staff writer Kristina Kokkonos about his plans for the future.

DIVERSIONS: Tell me a little bit more about wanting to go to UNC at this point.

DANIEL BACHMAN: Well I dropped out of the program I was in at the University of Mary Washington for Historic Preservation when I was probably 20. I had always wanted to go to UNC, but I could never afford it. Now that I’m old enough to get residency and [pay in-state tuition], I’m planning on trying to apply for Fall 2015. We’ll see if they take me.

DIVE: So where does music fit into that for you, as far as your goals and ambitions?

DB: They’re completely separate. If I do the music thing, it’s like full time. If I do the school thing, it’s full time. That’s what boiled down to dropping out the first time. You’re either on the computer all day working on stuff or you’re on the road all the time. That’s the only way it works financially, too. They’re two completely separate worlds.

DIVE: I noticed that you went on a summer 2013 UK tour. Tell me a little bit about that.

DB: That was, I think three weeks. I did all around the UK and Ireland, probably 16 or 17 shows, with a couple days off. It was nice. The UK is more like touring the U.S. than touring Europe, it’s like a similar vibe.

DIVE: What have you done so far this year?

DB: Just one tour in January. I’ve got one record coming out in March that’s like a reissue record, and then I’ve got another full-length record that’s coming out in April through this label out in Asheville. Then the UK in March, U.S. in April and nothing from there, which is cool. Then in June, I’m back in Europe and the UK. Then I will be taking it easy for a while. I’ve been going and going for about two and half years now, pretty nonstop.

DIVE: What’s your biggest goal with music?

DB: Forever, I always told myself, “Get two years of supporting yourself off of music.” Which I kind of did. So now, if everything just stopped, I’ve got gnarly stories and it would be fine. But I’m not going to stop.

DIVE: That’s really cool, to have accomplished that at a young because not many people can say that, but also to feel fulfilled enough.

DB: I’m definitely satisfied, yeah. I’m happy with everything.

diversions@dailytarheel.com