Diversions

Movie Review: In Secret

In Secret
???

“In Secret” is a 19th century period drama that unearths the complexities of overwhelming desire and strict societal duty.

Based on the novel “Thérèse Raquin,” by French author Émile Zola, the film follows the novel’s title character, played by Elizabeth Olsen, as a sexually-frustrated woman trapped in an arranged marriage.

Thérèse, bound by her obligations to her aunt Madame Raquin to marry her weak, sickly cousin Camille, looks for any opportunity to reawaken her soul. When she meets Camille’s handsome friend Laurent, played by Oscar Isaac, the two begin a torrid affair. The two are convinced they are meant for each other and seek ways they can be together for good, even if it means murder.

Layers of betrayal, fear and guilt conquer the main characters. While the film can be slow at times, it never steps outside the range of plausibility. “In Secret” is entrenched in the conflicting emotions that the star-crossed lovers, Thérèse and Laurent, must face.

The stellar cast of “In Secret” is spot-on. Olsen tackles her role with grace and an inner strength that allows her to hold her own with the rock solid Jessica Lange. Lange, as Madame Raquin, is better than ever. She owns her role as the domineering and downright chilling matriarch.

Isaac, most recently recognized for his role in “Inside Llewyn Davis,” exudes a new depth of range as the charmingly disarming Laurent. The most important factor of the film, the chemistry between Thérèse and Laurent, is not lost on the actors. The chemistry between Isaac and Olsen is magnetic as they get wrapped in their passionate and visceral love affair.

However, the final moments of the film prevent “In Secret” from being an exceptional erotic thriller. The film has all the build-up for a riveting finale but falls flat with an unexciting although unexpected conclusion.

Avery Thompson