Diversions

SXSW 2014 Recap: Day 2

<p>Placeholder performs at Red 7 Patio during the 2014 South By Southwest Music Festival.</p>
Buy Photos

Placeholder performs at Red 7 Patio during the 2014 South By Southwest Music Festival.

Dive assistant editor Chris Powers is stationed down South in Austin, Texas for the 2014 South By Southwest Music Festival, Follow his travels here on the Dive blog.

Day two afforded numerous opportunities not only to catch some of my favorite acts, but to discover some new ones.

My first stop was the Pitchfork day show at the historic French Legation. The outdoor venue provided two stages for non-stop performances. Gritty post-punk band Protomartyr from Detroit opened the show. Next, I was able to catch Coachwhips, featuring John Dwyer of Thee Oh Sees. The trio set up in front of the stage and its spastic garage rock connected well with the audience.

Empress Of provided one of the more intriguing sets of the day. Her dance-able electronica never strayed from a strong groove as her soaring melodies were enhanced by airy vocal effects. The solo project of Lorely Rodriguez, Empress Of supplied one of the better electronic live shows I have ever seen.

Perfect Pussy, one of the bigger buzz bands at this year’s SXSW, hit the stage next. The band’s powerful noise punk blew a bass amp and fried at least one distortion pedal. But singer Meredith Graves and company powered through, putting on the most aggressive set of the day. Next, I caught new Merge signee Ex Hex, who play bluesy power pop. The trio’s rumbling bass and drum dynamic provided a great backbone for vocalist Mary Timony’s distorted lead tones.

I then moseyed over to the IFC Fairgrounds, where The Hold Steady had just taken the stage. The band’s literary bar rock called for much audience vocal participation and it closed with an aggressive track off its soon-to-be-released album Teeth Dreams.

Then it was over to Red 7, where Against Me! headlined a Brooklyn Vegan showcase. The band has been experiencing something of a career rejuvenation since the release of its latest Transgender Dysphoria Blues, a grittier record than the band has offered as of late. Opening the show was the infamous Harvey Sid Fisher, performing his crop of humorous astrological songs. Next came a series of post-hardcore bands, the most promising of which was Placeholder out of Philadelphia. Perfectly balancing hooks and heaviness, the band reminded me just how fun post-hardcore can be.

Tomorrow promises a rousing day party courtesy of Stereogum as well numerous showcases. Keep your eyes peels to the Dive blog for more coverage!