Dress Code

Chapel Hill Resident Attends Fashion Week

<p>Joan Gillings, Gina Tripodi, Donna Fiddleman and Patti Tripodi sitting at the Lela Rose Collection show.</p>
Buy Photos

Joan Gillings, Gina Tripodi, Donna Fiddleman and Patti Tripodi sitting at the Lela Rose Collection show.

_After winning the New York City Fashion Week package at an auction last spring, Patti Tripodi, her daughter and two friends flew to New York to attend the most stylish event of the year. Since we could not report to our readers live from fashion week, the least the Dress Code crew could do was get Patti to share a little bit of her experience with us. _

What was the most exciting part about fashion week?

Patti: Just knowing that we were among the most fashionable people and being a part of all the excitement was in itself a thrill. With the cloud of 9/11 hanging over the city, I think that this was a way of moving on in all our lives. We were very moved and impressed at the beginning of the show to have moments of silence in darkness while “Imagine” was being played. The lights came on and the runway was aglow awaiting Spring 2012.

Were you surprised by anything you saw there?

Patti: Yes, Friday night before the show while having dinner at a popular outdoor restaurant in the trendy Meat Packing District we were amazed to see so many women wearing (I don’t really know what to call them) short shorts with an overlay of split pant leg. We found out later that the runways were showing the same attire. So, it goes to show you that fashion tends to begin in the larger cities such as NYC, Chicago, Dallas and LA.

Did you have any run-ins with fame while you were in the big apple?

Patti: Yes, Susan Sarandan and her daughter Eva Amurri, and Mariska Hargitay attended the Lela Rose collection and were sitting in the first row down from us. Mandy Moore was also there sitting across from us. We were told that Lela Rose is designing Eva Amurri’s wedding gown. Before the show the paparazzi were all over them.

Do you view fashion any differently now that you attended fashion week?

Patti: No, not particularly the view on fashion but on “fashion Itself.” Now that I’ve attended I have more of a perspective of the numerous designers out there designing in small boutiques throughout the world. I guess I’ve always focused on the Big Name Designers and would tend to follow in their lead. The fashion world in my lifetime has grown tremendously and this week end trip has really opened my eyes and I’m sure all of us as well.