Dress Code

Look cool while staying warm: fall fashion 2013

Button up, Carolina, because autumn has arrived.

For a lot of students, common winter weather attire includes jackets, leggings and UGG boots, but for those looking to have the best outfits in class, there are a few trends to look out for.

Patterns, lace, outerwear and peplum — an extra ruffle at the waist — are among the popular clothing items trendy students should have in their closets, said Oby Grace, a junior dramatic arts and communications major. She also noted that cobalt blue will be fashionable this fall the way the color mint was last year.

Grace loves to monitor runway trends and has a fashion blog of her own, “Only Be You.” She often uses fashion websites like refinery29.com, fashboulevard.com and Glamour Fashion for reference.

Katie Deagan, a sophomore majoring in Biology, follows fashion through her job at Forever 21. She said that some styles for the fall will be florals, camo, animal print and the colors red and burgundy, among others.

Both Grace and Deagan agreed that leather and layering will be extremely popular this fall.

Junior economics major Vincent Salvati said guys will probably repeat a lot of last year’s trends, such as The North Face jackets. He likes to buy clothes from stores like Urban Outfitters and recommends that all guys have a blazer, jacket and henley shirt.

To be a trendy Tar Heel: Fight off winter with a comfy jacket, and don’t be afraid to wear multiple layers of clothing underneath. Try to find clothes that make you look cool while staying warm!

Have your own suggestions on trendy fall wardrobe options? Comment below!