Dress Code

What fashion means to me

Shallow, unconventional, materialistic

These are three of many words that can be associated with fashion and the industry that falls behind it. Many take what they see and make assumptions based off of the price of clothes, the models and the opinions and ideas that the fashion industry supports.

However, fashion is so much more than the millionaires that are seen on the ads and campaigns.

Beauty, self-expression, self-confidence, progression

These are four more words that can also be used to describe fashion and these four words, among many more, are the soul purpose why fashion has such a huge impact on many lives, including my own.

Fashion means to me so much more than making money off a collection, or being on the cover of Vogue, but it means the experimentation to find how you truly want to express yourself and how confident you feel once you find the perfect combination of clothing.

It's forever changing and keeping the world on it's toes and how can anyone deny the excitement that comes along with that? You simply can't.

As some preach to the fact that they don't care about trends or what they wear, they can't deny that fashion is at the center of every person's world. The clothes you put on and the way you do your hair, trendy or not, is what comes together to define you.

This definition changes as time goes on, as your personality progresses with time and these changes commemorate times in your life that you don't ever want to forget (or are trying really, really hard to forget but pictures do last forever so you can't).

People idolize the beauty and confidence that comes with fashion.

Fashion encompasses everything beautiful and diverse in the world. From feminine skirts and frilly tops to bohemian dresses and aztec prints, there's a touch of everything within the industry, making it so there is immense room to grow and experiment.

No single person can say that they don't strive to be their best self intellectually and physically.

No matter how you achieve this version of you, whether you know it or not, your own personal fashion sense is involved in the process.

What fashion means to me is so much bigger than the literal sense of the word, but it's something that is intangible, yet makes up so much of daily life.

It's undefinable and will forever be something that makes up anything and everything in-between individual personalities and entire cultures.