Dress Code

Frugal shopping guide for clothes

Our resident Target retail expert™ is back for more shopping tips! Check out her last shopping guide here.

For petite people:

Check out the kids’ clothes. Anything with the word “kids,” “girls,” or “boys” is almost always cheaper. 

This tip works best for basics like t-shirts, sweats, tank tops and leggings. This doesn’t work as well with dresses because kids’ proportions are obviously different from adult proportions.

For anyone who is blown away by the price of women’s clothing:

It’s ridiculous, I know. I am not paying $20 for yoga pants either. 

I realize the kids’ clothes tip doesn’t work for many of you, so head over to the men’s department! 

Men’s hoodies are actually thick enough to keep you warm. Hanes basics are in the men’s department — $8 t-shirts and sweatpants. 

Good stuff. 

If you actually just want cheap yoga pants, I recommend Forever 21. They have super cheap basics ($2 camis), but be aware of some of their store policies.

For anyone who doesn’t buy women’s clothes:

There’s no point in buying a Ralph Lauren Polo at Belk when you can buy the same thing for way less at a store like T.J.Maxx or Marshalls. 

This really goes for all name brands.

The only downside to stores like these is that you can’t predict their inventory. You can’t rely on that Carolina blue polo to be at every T.J.Maxx every time you visit. Different stores get different shipments and some stores sell out faster than others.

If all else fails:

There is no shame in thrifting. I like to go to Goodwill in my affluent hometown because well-off people end up donating a lot of their name-brand stuff. 

I’ve bought prom-quality dresses for $4 before. I kid you not.

The bottom line:

• Know what you’re shopping for before you get to the store
  • Check the clearance rack first
  • See if other departments (kids’s/men’s) have the product for cheaper
  • If the item isn’t sold in other departments, check other stores
  • T.J.Maxx and Marshalls are the places to be if you’re looking for affordable name-brand items