DTH at a Glance

I was born with a hatred of Duke. Molded by it.

I didn't comprehend that people could actually be Duke fans until I was already a grown woman.

Some people adopt the hatred. And you know what? I'm not quoting Bane anymore, it's fine. You don't have to be raised by two UNC graduates to rabidly loathe their truest rival. Anyone can learn that Duke is delightfully detestable.

Duke is that little puddle on the floor you couldn't see that made your sock damp. 

Duke is the guy who sat in the seat in front of you in the movie theater even though you had your feet propped up and there are 30 other rows he could have chosen from. 

Duke is the LITERAL DEVIL. Come on people!

I get it, having this much school spirit is fundamentally insane and often has me primally screaming about games I don't even remember a month later. But it's so fun.

— Kelsey

QUICK HITS

• UNC leads the rivalry series 133-107, but Duke has claimed 10 of the past 13 meetings. This is how the two teams match up.
  • You'd think romance between a Tar Heel and a dookie would be challenging due to the whole vortex of hatred that begins to swirl in the middle of Tobacco Road this time of year, but this couple is actually super sweet.
  • Who scheduled the Duke game for the middle of midterms?? (Answer: The same person who does every year, probably, but it still sucks.)
  • Franklin Street is preparing for the "welcomed madness" that could ensue if UNC wins tonight.
  • Our sports editor Pat James reflects on the life of the one Duke fan he can't get mad at — his Papaw. 

IN JUST KIDDING I'M NOT DONE WITH DUKE NEWS

There's this column that has been passed down through DTH lore since before Michael Jordan was a meme. It uses the words "Dookie boneheads" and "infernal passion undying" and "hemorrhoidal." All in the same paragraph. 

IN I LOVE BRICE JOHNSON NEWS

Brice Johnson's real name is Jonathan Johnson! Also, he has the biggest, most amazing heart. He wears the No. 11 on his jersey to honor the day that his mother died. He's UNC's leading scorer, a frontrunner for ACC player of the year and a seriously wonderful friend to someone who lost his mother as well.

IN ARTS NEWS

Chase Rice will be our Jubilee performer this year. We asked students what they thought about that, and the conspiracy theories are flying.

IN DOG NEWS

Senior Zen Yang has had a shiba inu for 13 years. YES, he knows about the meme. YES, he got the dog before it was cool. The dog, has a NAME: It's Nike. And he has a personality, too, you shallow nerds. He has a wild streak, and he speaks Chinese. And his eyes are up here.

IN THE BLOGS

We are grateful for the #dookfans craze that takes over Twitter before the big game. Here are some of our favorite insults.

Twitter phenom Langston Taylor made a bunch of crying Michael Jordan memes. They're Duke themed. You need them. Especially the gif.