DTH at a Glance

Our columnist's most polite clap back in written history

Since taking this job — writing the newsletter and becoming the official disembodied voice of The Daily Tar Heel online — I've learned a lot. It can be fun. It can be rewarding. Also, people can really, really suck.

Like everywhere on the internet, our Facebook, Twitter and website are subject to a lot of mean-spirited comments. It's probably easy to hit send and go about your life. What's not easy is for me, Kelsey and even singled-out writers to have those comments sent to our phones every day.

So before you bully someone, consider columnist Gwendolyn Smith's advice. It's a lot more genuine than anything I'd ever respond with, as evidenced by my new habit of liking all of our mean Twitter mentions from my personal account.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• In a major upset for the tennis world, UNC's men's team put an end to a 140-game winning streak that the Cavaliers had against ACC competitors.
  • Monday's suspended operations required UNC employees to take unpaid leave. Per a new policy, they have 90 days to make up their missed hours.
  • We scoured the world for 10 horrendous things that are still worse than Duke. Chief among them are misspelled names on Starbucks cups and John Travolta's announcing Idina Menzel at the Oscars.

IN LEGUME VROOM

A 26-foot motorized peanut constructed from the wood of an old barn just arrived on campus. Accompanied by a fellow Planters spokesperson, recent UNC graduate Alejandra Galindo referred to the NUTmobile's traveling as an "East to West nut crackin' fest.” Which sounds an awful lot like a missed opportunity for a Hillary Clinton campaign slogan.

IN EDUCATION

North Carolina's public education system received a failing grade. Again. A report published from the Network for Public Education found every state's GPA, decided based on testing, professionalism and tax money allocation. Our state's was a whopping 0.83, one of the five lowest in the entire country.

IN UNC-SYSTEM NEWS

N.C. State is forcing Keuka College in New York to stop using "Wolfpack" as its mascot. Did you ever meet that one kid in your neighborhood who got bullied by peers his own size, so he'd go pick on younger kids to compensate and prove himself? K, just checking.

IN OUR OPINION

In the spirit of love and Valentine's Day, stop being jerks to people on the internet. I will be the first to admit that being a smart ass to people now and again is really, intrinsically rewarding. But do you need to be negative and hurtful to people who are trying their best? Nah.