DTH at a Glance

I still appreciate my MVP athlete award from high school

Growing up, I always wanted to be a star athlete. It didn't matter what sport, so I somehow started playing volleyball in middle school and kept up with it until my senior year of high school.

I attended every practice. I ran a lot. I worked hard. Whenever I tripped violently, I got back up. 

I played my cards right, but my mediocre athlete days just weren't good enough. I was handed my MVP award senior year of high school and then just like that my volleyball career was over. 

It was bittersweet, but I guess we can't all be like UNC men and women lacrosse players, who all happen to be going to the Final Four this weekend. 

– Alex

QUICKHITS

• Remember the UNC student who randomly started stripping in an introductory biology class? Dylan Moore is back and this time on MTV's "Real World." 
  • Rosemary Street Improvement Project is delayed to begin construction due to difficulty acquiring public easements. Sorry, pedestrians. 
  • Not a lot of kids have access to collegiate baseball fields to play on, but Emery Congelli happens to be an exception.
  • RuPaul's "Battle of the Seasons" tour may be about drag, however it's anything but one. RuPaul's tour had no shame performing in various cities around North Carolina, in light of HB2. You go, Glen Coco.

IN ARTS NEWS

UNC is about to get a lot more artsy with the addition of a Special Assistant to the Chancellor of Arts, Emil Kang. Kang's main goal is to create a more prominent presence for the arts on campus. Does tight roping in the quad count?

IN SPORTS NEWS

While at breakfast, UNC men's lacrosse dedicated their most recent game against Notre Dame to their coach Joe Berschi and his son. Many of the lacrosse players saw Berschi as a father-figure and the waterworks couldn't be held back after their victory. 

IN AWARD NEWS

Does the name Joseph DeSimone ring a bell? Well, you might recognize it considering the President of the United States recently awarded him the National Medal of Technology and Innovation. As the Olsen twins used to say, "You got it, dude!"