DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Unfair scare

I only truly hate three things in the world: cockroaches, Tom Brady and horror movies. I live on the sixth floor of my dorm and in the Southeast, so the first two are pretty much taken care of. But horror movies are unfortunately an unavoidable part of quote-unquote youth culture. In middle school you were expected to watch them to prove that you're cool (brave) and in college you're still expected to watch them to prove that you're cool (ironic). 

My solution for this has been the same for years — I wear my glasses to the movie and then take them off as soon as it starts. I'm teetering on the edge of legally blind, so this is incredibly effective. But I might be able to stop putting up with my glasses, which I hate (four things, I guess). According to our opinion board, there are a ton of reasons for me to hate horror movies. Take that, cool eighth graders!

— Rachel

QUICK HITS

• Latino voter registration in North Carolina has spiked ahead of the upcoming election, and so has the visibility of Latinx communities on campus as they demand space to match their population. 
  • Debate season came to campus in Wednesday's matchup between UNC's Young Democrats and College Republicans. Both organizations thought the event went well and they even found some common ground.
  • The Great Hall became a safe space for sexual assault survivors on Wednesday for the "Our Story" event. The interactive discussion was organized by UNC seniors and created a dialogue between survivors and supporters in light of the Delaney Robinson case.
  • UNC's running backs have formed a brotherhood despite their differing years and skill sets. The four Tar Heels have bonded over countless hours spent together at practice and on the road. 

IN TRUMP TALK 

Republicans across the nation are scrambling to withdraw their support for Trump in the wake of his comments on women. North Carolina politicians haven't joined the wave, but UNC's College Republicans have.  

Mike Pence came to Raleigh on Wednesday to emphasize the importance of North Carolinians voting for Trump in November. But Donald will be fine no matter what happens next month — Swerve has some suggestions for what he could do with any extra, non-deductible money he may or may not have lying around.

IN BAR-GAINS

If you need to drink to forget your midterms AND your wallet, Swerve has you covered. We've put together a guide to the daily drink specials in Chapel Hill's bars, so you're covered from Mug Night Mondays to slashed-price Sundays. As someone who can't legally drink but loves being cheap and eating cheese fries at 2 a.m., I have a lot of feelings about this one.

IN HOMECOMING HUMOR

Comedy is making a comeback at this year's Homecoming celebrations. CUAB is bringing in comedians DeRay Davis and Chris Redd in lieu of a Homecoming concert. The show should be 80 minutes long and student tickets are currently on sale for $5, so get your laughs for a low price!