DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: I peaked in high school

My sophomore year of high school, I was on the homecoming court and won class favorite. I was also in a relationship, president of my class and involved in more than seven clubs.

My sophomore year of college, I have more presence online than I do in the real world, cannot remember the last time I brushed my hair and spend more time having existential crises than I do sleeping.

I pretty much peaked in high school. Others hit a high point in college. @Mr. and Miss UNC 2016, Logan Gin and Dani Nicholson: please rub off on me.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• With a slight change of location, the Orange County GOP office building officially reopened Thursday after its Oct. 17 firebombing.
  • A group of students created a UNC pingpong club. People don’t exaggerate when they say there really is a club for everything here.
  • A new diversity supercourse called “Intersectionality: Race, Gender, Sexuality and Social Justice” will bring three different UNC departments together to educate students on important but sensitive topics.
  • UNC defeated Georgia Tech 48-20 at Saturday’s homecoming football game, proving again why I left Georgia to come to North Carolina. (Does that make it a home-leaving game for me? Who knows.)

IN UNC ROYALTY

Congratulations to Logan Gin and Dani Nicholson on being crowned Mr. and Miss UNC 2016! The announcement was made this Saturday before the start of the Homecoming game. Nicholson’s service project will focus on starting dialogue on sensitive topics among students and faculty while Gin’s project will bring adaptive sports, like wheelchair basketball, to UNC.

IN BEING A FAVE

The Chapel Hill Historical Society honored exceptional citizens of Chapel Hill and Carrboro on Sunday. The society celebrated the 50th anniversary of its founding with the annual Town Treasures award, presented to citizens that hold special places in the two towns’ hearts. (I’m still waiting for my honorable mention.)

IN GOING AU NATURAL

The medicinal gardens surrounding the Health Sciences Library is growing. After two years of hard work, the Gardening and Ethnobotany in Academia Project are ready for the garden to become a go-to for students. The group hopes to plant the seeds of knowledge, helping visitors expand what they know about plants while simultaneously expanding the club’s membership.

IN REALLY, REALLY INTENSE EYE CONTACT

The dark void of human interaction is one that we like to avoid. At UNC, this is particularly difficult to do. Considering the number of people on campus every day, you are bound to make awkward eye contact with someone at some point in your four-year career. But when it happens — and it will — don’t panic. Use these evasion techniques instead.