DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Breaking your fall

UNC, we're so close. Hang in there just a little longer, and tonight we'll be free from all the papers and exams for four whole days. Until then, here's the news:

QUICK HITS

• The two Chapel Hill residents that were found dead in their home Thursday have been identified.
  • Men's basketball coach Roy Williams had a lot to talk about at a press conference on Thursday — one of his first since winning the 2017 national title. 
  • “We're in this really liminal space where we're considered students when it's convenient for the University and workers when it's convenient for the University.” UNC grad students are holding a "grade-in" to demonstrate the hours they work behind the scenes for little pay. 

U! N! C!

• “We shouldn’t be getting an email announcement of something like this.” UNC professors express frustration and disbelief after being left out of the search for a new provost.
  • UNC is aiming to raise $250 million for the Ackland Art Museum by 2022. This would make the Ackland a top public university art museum and a focal point at Carolina.
  • We asked UNC students share their plans for fall break, which range from traveling to the mountains to visiting Duke.

STATE STUFF

• “You know, we can put a stick in that and dip it and fry it." After 150 years, the North Carolina State Fair continues to entertain the masses with inventive fried food and on-site alcohol.
  • Early voting turnout tripled in Wake County's municipal election, thanks to a combination of increased number of early voting locations, grassroots efforts and convenience.
  • The Chapel Hill-Carrboro NAACP was named 2017 Branch of the Year in N.C. after focusing on engaging the community in constructive, enlightening dialogues about race.