DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Monday Monday

Happy Monday, UNC! Read on for info on achievement gaps, Marines in Battle Forest and more sports content than you'll know what to do with: 

QUICK HITS

• Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools has the second largest achievement gap between black and white students in the country. To close that gap, more tutoring and mentoring will be made available for students of all backgrounds.
  • “There’s no human face on a press release. And these photos, except for one, they all look at you.” Battle Forest is being turned into a war photography exhibit through Oct. 15 in Arts Everywhere's latest initiative.
  • From today's opinion section, Claude Wilson talks about the poor handling of the situation in Puerto Rico, and Alexander Peeples advises that we keep trying to make a difference simply by organizing.

REFLECTING ON SPORTS

• This time last year, Nick Weiler was tomahawk-chopping his way through UNC's most successful season in years. But this Saturday painted an increasingly bleak picture of the team's present and future. 
  • "I think you could make the argument that this is not criminal — it's progressive.” The headlines surrounding last week's FBI investigation into college basketball brought decades-old sponsorship debates bubbling to the surface. 

KICKIN' IT WITH UNC SOCCER

Catch up on the weekend's soccer victories (and stadium challenges) here:

• Alec Smir's first start with UNC soccer went pretty well — he had three crucial saves in the final 10 minutes of Friday's victory against NC State. 
  • Syracuse was the latest victim of UNC women's soccer as they continue to roll through ACC competition.
  • Although UNC soccer teams are playing home games in Cary, faithful students still make their presence felt in the stands.