DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Weird Science

Buy Photos

Good Morning and Happy FDOC of Summer Session 1!
As the child of parents who were teenagers during the Summer of '69, I grew up with an unusual music taste for an 11 or 12 year old. While other kids had the wonder of Kidz Bop or Taylor Swift running through the headphones of their CD player, my father and I screamed Oingo Boingo's Dead Man's Party at the top of our lungs in the kitchen.
Weird Science was one of my favorite tunes off the classic 1985 new wave album and my excitement over the aesthetic of science has continued into my adulthood, even if my practical science abilities never advanced past "plastic tubes and pots and pans."
Students of Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools found their own inner scientists with the Department of Physics and Astronomy's Science is Awesome Outreach Day. I, personally, am jealous.

The Rundown
  • Are your kids out of school due to the teacher work day? Here's our list of places in the area providing activities and childcare for kids all day.
  • Track and field made a strong showing over the three-day ACC Tournament. The team will compete in the NCAA tournament in late May.
  • Orange County and Chapel Hill-Carrboro City schools are closed today as educators protest in Raleigh, but how will children being out of school affect low-income families?
That Reminds Us:
With schools closing tomorrow and the protest happening in Raleigh, here is a look back at DTH stories about Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools this past year.
  • This 10 year old got the top score on the AP Calculus exam. I made a C+ in actual college calculus if that gives you some reference.
  • “I need to feel safe in my own school.” CHCCS students had a walkout of their own to protest gun violence and ask for gun reform.
Not trying to brag but...
We have amazing photographers at the DTH, and we wanted to show them some love. Here are some shots from the past school year for you to peruse this Wednesday morning. If you email us your UNC shots at online@dailytarheel.com, you could end up here!

Events
  • May 16- Parks & Rec Trivia- Get out your Knope campaign buttons and Swanson mustaches to compete for glory and all the eggs and bacon they have. (Town Hall Grill)
  • May 16-Museum Tour of the Ackland- Like art? Like free things? Get a docent-led tour of the Ackland Art Museum at 2 p.m. Get cultured. (Ackland Art Museum)
  • May 19- Hand Spinning with Alpaca Fiber-Yes, you read that correctly. Come learn how to spin yarn using alpaca fiber and learn more about other natural materials. (1870 Farm)
  • May 19-Beer and Cheese Tasting- Steel String Brewery is teaming up with Chapel Hill Creamery to bring you an afternoon of cheese, tours and, my favorite, assorted meats. (Chapel Hill Creamery)

"From my heart and from my hand. Why don't people understand my intentions?"
Danny Elfman

Events

Danny Elfman