DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Woolly Worm

Good Morning and Happy Friday! 

Deep in my memory there resides a crystal clear image of one of the most eccentric events I have ever attended: the Woolly Worm Festival. 

The Woolly Worm Festival is a lovely extravaganza celebrating that very same fuzzy bug. It is held right here in North Carolina and features live music, a weather guessing contest and, of course, a woolly worm race. Yes, they tie worms to strings and race them for a $1,000 prize. I told you it was strange.

Just like the town of Banner Elk has embraced the woolly worm, UNC forward Luke Maye has embraced his fuzzy accessories: his eyebrows. Lucky for us, Maye has withdrawn from the NBA Draft and will return to UNC for his senior season, and Carolina basketball fans are rejoicing. Perhaps we should host a festival in his honor. Roy Williams suit guessing game anyone? 

Redshirt sophomore pitcher Josh Hiatt (31) comes in as relief during Carolina's ACC tournament loss to Pittsburgh on May 23. 

The Bad News...

• UNC lost to Pitt 5-4 on Wednesday. Sad. After a rough 7th inning and a missed grand slam, the Tar Heels will not move on to the semi-final round of the ACC Tournament. 

Letter to the Editor

• I wrote a column this week, and someone disagreed with me. Yay discourse! That's the stuff we like to see. This letter concerns fears over the government's role in media.

Plan Your Weekend

Don't know what to do this Memorial Day weekend? We got you covered. We have our weekly "Plan Your Weekend" guide to give you the hot tips on what's going on in the Triangle. 

"It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater "

Sheb Wooley