DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Tiny Bulls

Good Morning and Happy Friday!

It's the weekend folks and you know what that means? Sleeping! Or... y'know... going out? Mowing the lawn? Grocery store runs? Everyone has a different lifestyle. No matter what you are doing, you better enjoy it because it's the weekend!

I started my weekend early with a visit to the Durham Bulls with some fellow DTH-ers. I went to see the Atlanta Braves' Triple-A team lose to the Bulls on a walk-off walk.

Not only was it the shortest game I've ever been to with the lowest hit count at ~5, it also had one of the strangest inter-inning performances. Wool E. Bull, the mascot, ran around with four smaller versions of himself trailing behind them. I don't know whether it was seeing small children in bull costumes or just the sight of that many tiny bulls, but it was a bit frightening.

What's not frightening is the baseball headline we have got for you today.

First-year Caden O'Brien (34) pitches against UNC-Wilmington on Feb. 20 at Boshamer Stadium.

The Rundown

• Caden O'Brien was named a Freshman All-American for his pitching prowess. The kid did better than many expected and added needed reliability in the Tar Heel bullpen.

The Deep Dive

• O'Brien's first start of his collegiate career was on February 20 against UNC-Wilmington. O'Brien impressed early on with only one earned run and showed promise of being a weekday starter. 
  • O'Brien became a part of an elite group of relievers. His skills were put to the test as UNC swept their Super Regional to move on to the College World Series. 
  • Despite an exit from the CWS, O'Brien came in clutch when Dalatri had an early exit against the Oregon State Beavers. The Tar Heels went on to the win that game, in part due to their strong pitching. 

Plan Your Weekend

Although it promises to be a particularly rainy weekend, you can still enjoy it! Check out our plan your weekend guide for tons of events and happenings around town. Enjoy festivals and Friday nights in Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Durham. 

" I really want to kick it with you. You'll be my American Boy."

Estelle