DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Reptar Remnants

Good Morning and Happy Friday!

If you were a child in the early 2000s then you remember Reptar. Repter was the super cool dinosaur character from the ever-weird show Rugrats.

I had a small Reptar toy when I was younger that I would bury all the time, because what else does a kid do with their possessions?

Over the years we would find it and I would re-bury it because ... well, just for fun. Plus, each time I found it i was reminded of being a kid and playing outside. 

UNC researchers made a much more important discovery in the dirt. They found a mosaic that is supposed to give key insights into Ancient jewish life and culture and possibly give more background to the group's complicated past. 

A team of UNC archeologists uncovered this mosaic in Galilee this summer. Photo courtesy of Jim Haberman.

The Rundown

• Local officials are calling for the abolishment of ICE as raids continue. More than 100 officials across the country have signed this joint statement criticizing the immigration system. 
  •  From Superman to Walter White, the image of a hero has changed drastically in media. The Chapel Hill Public Library held a panel on the evolution of heroism and the key differences concerning celebrity. 

A Deep Dive

As North Carolina's Hispanic immigrant population increases, disagreements have arisen over immigration policies and the concept of sanctuary cities across the state, especially in our neighboring town of Carrboro. Here is a glimpse of some of the events and efforts being made locally on this hot-topic issue. 

• In 2016, the DTH talked to a Charlotte lawyer about the increase of ICE raids in North Carolina as a result of new priorities put in place by the  Secretary of Homeland Security. Some viewed the raids as proper enforcement of legal immigration practices. 
  • Local authorities, including the Chapel Hill and Orange County law enforcement, threw their support behind immigrant citizens as confusion arose about checkpoints and ICE involvement. 
  • As more families began to face deportation, churches across the state began offer sanctuary.  A local church held a workshop to inform families and community members of efforts being made.
  • In April 2018, ICE raided several neighborhoods in Carrboro and made several arrests. ICE detained up to 25 people that week in the Triangle area. 
  • UNC graduate RubĂ­ Quiroz is working to inform communities about their rights and the legality surrounding immigration. 

Plan Your Weekend

It's Friday people! Time to start the weekend and get going. Our Plan Your Weekend guide has all the events and activities you could ask for. Ranging from an fun for the whole family to adult nights on the town. Enjoy your summer nights with our help. P.S. There are goats involved. 

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. "

Bonnie Tyler