DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: I can't throw a football

Good Morning and Happy Thursday!

When I was a tiny youth, I, as all tiny youths do, wanted the boys on my street to like me. 

These boys didn't want anything to do with a girl though, which presented as a massive obstacle to my efforts. As I sat in their backyard watching them toss a football, I concocted a master plan: I would make them teach me how to throw a football.

It was genius. If I knew how, then I could play with them and be their best friend. So I asked, and to their credit they did attempt to teach me. Unfortunately for them, my athletic abilities, even at that tender age, were highly limited and I ended up throwing it over a fence somehow.

Unlike the frisbee that my dad drilled me on how to toss, the football was not my forte. During the ACC Kickoff, the UNC football team was found to also have potential offensive issues due to a lack of a consistent quarterback. Hopefully they figure it out more than I did. 

The Rundown

• Meet your new principals for the Carrboro-Chapel Hill School System. There has been a changing of the guard with three new principals hitting the scene this fall. 
  • With offensive woes still haunting the football team, the defensive line is poised to lead. Seasoned veterans and depth of talent seem to set this part of the team up for success. 
  • Coach Fedora certainly made a stir at the ACC Kickoff with his talk on C.T.E. and how football isn't the root of the problem. Fedora claims data that says so puts football "under attack."

The Wayback Machine

In the spirit of ACC Media Day, here are some shots of our football team from 1967 featuring some ... bold ... captions.

Plan Your Weekend

With July halfway over, it's time to celebrate making it through another sweaty week. Summer Session II is winding down, and we want you to have some fun before finals. The Chapel Hill/Durham area is really pulling out all the stops with tons of events. Check out our Plan Your Weekend guide for all the happenings about town. 

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

John Heisman