DTH at a Glance

At first glance

I failed my driving test the first time I took it. I thought it was the worst thing to ever happen to me and then I failed it a second time. I’m pretty sure the three trips to the DMV it took to actually get my license shaved years off my lifespan, and it definitely did for my poor parents. 

In hindsight, it made sense. I’ve always hated doing things for the first time. It usually takes me a couple of tries to stop being so anxious and get into the groove of doing new things. When I was a kid, it took me years of eyeing the deep end before I would swim. Every single member of my family has tried to teach me to ride a bike at one time or another, and I meticulously mapped out each of my classes before my first day at Carolina three years ago. 

But now as a senior, I can barely remember what classes I’m taking. I’ve fallen into the routine of UNC. And while part of me is comforted by it, I’m hoping I try some new things in my final year at Carolina, because there’s a lot of fun in doing things for the first time. 

This is my first time writing this newsletter, for example. 

This week will bring a lot of firsts for UNC students. Maybe it’s their first time waking up for an 8 a.m. class, maybe it’s their first time not suffering through a language class or maybe it’s just their first day here. Regardless, I hope they leave this week feeling settled. I did eventually pass my driver’s test, after all. 

First news of the semester 

On Monday night, Silent Sam was pulled down by a group of demonstrators. To many, this is the culmination of a long history of racial tension. Regardless, the conversation about the statue is only beginning for the 2018-2019 academic year. 

It seems like every time I come back from summer vacation, eighty restaurants have opened on Franklin Street (and they all serve pizza). At least you can recommend a new place to take your family next time they’re in town. 

The 2018 election is less than three months away. Help prep yourself for the polls here

For first-years 

Despite everyone acting otherwise, we were all first-years once. Still, you don’t have to look like one. If you’d rather blend in, maybe ditch your lanyard, among other things

There’s a whole world outside of Lenoir Dining Hall. Did you know one of our restaurants won an award for the best burger in America? 

Whether you’re the life of the party or a wallflower, learn how to be a safe partygoer here. 

Things to do 

They do call it the “Week of Welcome” for a reason. There are tons of events throughout the week, and you can plan which ones you’ll go to here.  

Daily Tar Heel news 

If you’re interested in working with us, our application is now live! We hire photographers, designers, copy editors and writers. Whether you’re applying with tons of experience or none at all, all you have to be is a student at UNC to apply

"I felt that one had better die fighting against injustice than to die like a dog or a rat in a trap." 

Ida B. Wells