DTH at a Glance

Waves of change

On Monday night, Confederate monument Silent Sam was pulled down by demonstrators in the first protest against the statue for the 2018-2019 school year. There seem to be millions of opinions surrounding the statue, and the debate has been at the forefront of conversation for most of my college career. 

For the past 24 hours, the DTH’s timeline and comments section has been more active than it’s been in a very long time (I should know, I get notifications for every account). Despite differing comments and opinions, and certainly different levels of anger or pride over the subject, one thing is abundantly clear: the community cares. 

In a time of a lot of political and social division, I like to think about that to keep me a little grounded. That among the arguments, Twitter threads and waves of change, I’m witnessing history be made. I’m thankful for that, and I’m thankful for these stories today. 

Silent Sam updates 

The Daily Tar Heel spoke with UNC graduate student and activist Maya Little on Tuesday regarding the protest that occurred on Monday night. Little was one of the speakers at the beginning of the protest, though she denies organizing the event. 

Things happened very fast on Monday night. If you're wanting to make sure you're up to date, we've made a timeline of the events that transpired from the protest itself, to statements made by officials. 

In a joint statement among Chancellor Carol Folt and other UNC-system officials, UNC has announced that the State Bureau of Investigations will be assisting in the investigation regarding the protest. Read more about what that means here

In other news 

Three UNC Board of Governors Special Committees officially met for the first time on Tuesday, including the Committee on Military and Veteran Affairs, the Committee on Historically Minority-Serving Institutions and the Committee on Healthcare.  

Women's soccer head coach Anson Dorrance made history by earning the 1,000th win of his career on Sunday. Senior writer Chapel Fowler collected 10 major statistics to help paint a picture of this monumental success. 

The N.C. Promise Plan is bringing tuition decreases to three UNC system schools in the hopes of developing the North Carolina economy. Read more about the program here

Things to do 

Listen to this playlist from our Office DJ to get you to the second half of the week. 

"Summer is as faded as a lone cicada call"

St. Vincent