DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Boys, let's ride

About a week ago, 100 electric scooters made their way into Chapel Hill. Their parent company, Bird, didn’t tell the town or the University that they were coming in. 

For the past week, I’ve seen groups of students all around Chapel Hill on these things, and it’s bringing back sore memories of all the times I took a Razor Scooter to the ankle in my childhood. Despite that, I’ve found the entire thing very funny, and I’m glad they’re here. 

However, staff writer Michael Taffe reported today that they’ll be leaving campus … with a chance of coming back in September. Apparently, they were supposed to clue the University and town in when they decided to drop their scooters off. 

I'm sad that their stint in Chapel Hill was so short. I think there’s a lesson here that resembles “If you love something, let it go,” and “It's better to have loved and lost than never loved at all,” but I’m a little unsure of what it is. 

At any rate, I’ll be waiting patiently until September for their possible return. 

Your weekend update

On Saturday, a protest unfolded between supporters of Confederate monument Silent Sam and those who favored the statue’s removal. Seven arrests were made, none of which were affiliated with the University. For a closer look at the protest, check out our photo story and summary of events here. 

In July, Congressional Democrats introduced the Aim Higher Act, which proposes a plan for both immediate and long-term relief for students and their families paying for college. 

Did you know that only one woman has ever won the Academy Award for Best Director? Some women at UNC are hoping to change that. 

Sports Monday 

On Sunday night, UNC men's soccer team fell to the Indiana Hoosiers in a 1-0 loss. 

UNC field hockey beat Michigan at home on Saturday in the inaugural game at their newly renovated stadium. 

The UNC volleyball team lost both of its games this weekend, but head coach Joe Sagula noted an improvement between the team’s two matches. 

Things to do 

Go to Queer FallFest this Thursday. UNC’s Sexuality and Gender Alliance will be holding the event from 5-8 p.m. in the Student Union, room 2423. 

"Maybe soon you'll meet my new-new girlfriend" 

Scott Pilgrim