DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Phone home

I’m going to say it. I think E.T. is one of the worst movies ever made. I am very scared of it, yes, but I know that it’s justified. 

Let’s start here: E.T. looks terrifying. I refuse to hear anything otherwise. I cannot believe that since 1982, parents everywhere have subjected their children to watching a movie starring an alien (that looks like a detached thumb) and aren’t thinking that on some level, their kid will be scared. 

Also, E.T.'s voice! Are you seriously telling me that if you heard that voice in your room in the middle of night, you wouldn’t think that your life was about to end? What about how his body glows? Or that he heals people? Or what about that scene when he dressed up like a toy?

Beyond this, if I’m going to cry over a children’s movie that teaches the power of love and friendship through a glorified pet, I’m going to watch Where the Red Fern Grows. And if I’m going to watch a movie with a young Drew Barrymore, I’m going to watch Never Been Kissed. Honestly, I cannot believe that this movie is regarded as a masterpiece, when to me, it feels like a nightmare that won’t end. 

Speaking of, both the Board of Governors and the Board of Trustees met yesterday and came out with two separate statements about, you guessed it, Silent Sam. That probably felt like a nightmare to them, too. 

What's happening in November? 

Midterm elections! As you begin weighing your options, out-of-state students are weighing two separate options of their own: sending in an absentee ballot in their home state or registering to vote here in Chapel Hill. Read more here about what's influencing their decision here.  

New, un-gerrymandered district voting (maybe)! On Monday, a Greensboro federal district court panel affirmed the decision that the N.C. General Assembly unconstitutionally gerrymandered congressional districts to favor Republicans in 2016. Judge James Wynn wrote in his opinion that new districts might be able to be used this time around. 

What's happening now?

Business school applications, unfortunately. They're due on Sept. 1, and only about half of the students that apply will be admitted. Are you ready? 

The best kind of weekend plans. On Saturday, Taste Carolina Gourmet Food Tours will be hosting a tasting and market tour in Carrboro. According to the owner, you visit about six restaurants per three-hour tour. Not pregnant, just eatin' good, amirite? 

Things to do

Ditch your Spotify account. Record stores are still doing well in Chapel Hill, despite the widespread popularity of streaming services. According to some local owners, the culture of Chapel Hill helps keep the stores alive. 

"Texas is hot, I can be cold." 

Kacey Musgraves