DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Still circling Lenoir

I had a meal plan for two years at UNC. Now, if I happen to go through the Pit during the 12:20 class change, I have flashbacks of spending 30 minutes doing rounds around Lenoir, desperately trying to find a table. 

We’d spend more time circling the dining hall than we would actually eating. We’d stare down people who were done eating but still had the audacity to be sitting at their table. One time, my friend and I saw a girl ask someone if they were leaving when they literally putting food in their mouth. 

People got desperate. Sometimes you would see six people crowded around a two-person table, just to get a seat. Worst case scenario, some people would eat while still actively looking for a table. 

This experience leaves me to ask — how did they approve such a small amount space and such few tables when they knew how many people would be eating there each day?

While we’re at it, I have a lot of questions about how Carolina approves things. Luckily for me, senior writer Eva Ellenburg answered the question of how textbooks get approved at UNC this week, amid discussion over a particularly controversial online textbook assigned this year. 

What we’re reporting on today

A recent UNC study found a correlation between teenage drinking and high-grade prostate cancer later in life. Though researchers still classify this as preliminary evidence, you can read more about their findings here.

Speaking of research, a growing amount shows that medical marijuana use might be able to help the nation's opioid crisis. Still, this research is met with obstacles ranging from the complexities of addiction and pain management to the stigmatization of medical marijuana usage. 

Remember the Durham-Orange Light Rail project? So do we. On Tuesday, Orange County commissioners unanimously signed a letter stating their $149.5 million commitment to the project. Regardless, the project is still meeting massive budgetary restraints as it tries to move forward. 

Eight co-chairs for the Campaign for Carolina are showing support for the relocation of Silent Sam, according to the News & Observer. The Campaign for Carolina was launched last year in an effort to raise $4.25 billion for the University, and has raised nearly 50 percent of the goal as of present. 

Things to do

Burn your Nikes. Or, maybe don't. If you haven't heard, Colin Kaepernick is the face of Nike's newest campaign, and some people aren't very happy about it (read: burning all their Nike apparel). Now, the Hillsborough Police Department is asking you to donate your Nikes instead. 

"I'll have what she's having." 

When Harry Met Sally