DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: The indoorsy life

As a kid, I hated sports. I hated playing outside, I hated recess and I hated every gym class I ever had. In elementary school, I felt blessed every time there was a heat advisory because it meant that we could have indoor recess. 

My parents asked me to play sports; they even presented me with options. I always said no. I loved Broadway and Britney Spears. I lived for a performance, for divas and for any of *NSYNC’s choreographed dances. 

Now, I’ll just say that I had a refined taste that my parents couldn’t possibly understand — that’s a way better excuse than saying I was too competitive and allergic to everything outside. 

So, yes, my refined taste kept me from doing anything outside. That’s why I refused to play soccer ... or basketball ... or softball. That’s why I listened to the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack on repeat for a year at age 7. 

And that’s why I relate to PlayMaker’s Theatre, who is celebrating their 100th birthday this week. Talk about living for drama. 

In today’s news 

Those arrested in relation to the toppling of Silent Sam and to subsequent protests are beginning to have their hearings at the Orange County courthouse, and are being met with a lot of support from students, community members and organizations. 

Your favorite spot in Chapel Hill or Carrboro is probably a locally-owned business. Many owners often find support from locals as their businesses are starting up, but there’s definitely hardship when competing with bigger franchises. 

This summer, several UNC faculty members received a briefing about dealing with federal agencies, potentially including U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Read more here.  

In today’s sports 

Last weekend, ECU and UNC both lost their first football games of the season. Take a look back at our past games with the Pirates, as well as where each team fell short in their contests last week. 

The UNC’s women’s golf team failed to qualify for the NCAA Championship last season. Now, the team is looking to utilize a combination its seasoned athletes and new talent to get them to where they want to be. 

Things to do 

Get spicy. On Saturday, join Claudia L. Sanders of Good Intentions Culinary Services and Bill Lelekacs of Dancing Pines Farm at the Chapel Hill Farmer’s Market to sample through all the grilled peppers you can eat. 

"There's no excuse for the young people not knowing who the heroes and heroines are or were." 

Nina Simone