DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

I have a terrible time focusing on what’s happening directly in front of me. I always have. I started prepping to apply to college in 5th grade, I planned out my 10-year career plan when I was in 9th grade and I have an ideal place of where I’d like to be when I’m 40. 

So, doing things ~spontaneously~ does not work for me. And when things like hurricanes or snow storms are forecast, it really can send me into a tailspin. I desperately want to plan the trajectory of something that can’t be planned, and I end up just running in place. 

Am I going to lose power? Will parts of town flood? What about food? What about water? How bad is it going to be?

Planning the unplannable is completely mentally taxing and I hate it. I need a break. I need a nap. I need classes to be canceled. 

Which, actually, has happened! Classes will be canceled beginning today at 5 p.m. through Friday. Read more here. 

Hurricane prep 

Staying in town and adjusting your plans for the week? We've got a running list of what's been canceled in the Triangle area in preparation for Hurricane Florence. 

In addition to the University closing operations, local and state officials have made some announcements regarding public safety and requests for federal aid in preparation for the storm. 

If you're in Chapel Hill through the week, read this guide on emergency preparedness here. 

One good read

Since Silent Sam's toppling in August, UNC has released several statements regarding free speech on campus. How does this vary when a university is private? 

Things to do 

Celebrate National Arts in Education Week with this story on Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School's public arts education programs. 

"So I can understand why he went back. What I can’t understand is why I was left behind.”

The Real Heroes are Dead, James B. Stewart for The New Yorker