DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Hunkering down

I woke up today telling myself that I was going to do all of my homework. In just these few weeks of school alone, I've managed to get astronomically behind on my homework. Between regular DTH tasks, Silent Sam falling and Hurricane Florence coming to town, I've managed to nearly forget every assignment I've had. 

Sometimes I feel like I go to the DTH rather than to UNC, and today I was determined to get ahead.

I'm writing this newsletter at 10:15 p.m., after having spent a few hours today looking through public records the DTH received today (featured below!). I'm sure none of you are shocked to know that none of my homework has been done. 

Oh well, only eight months until I graduate from t̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶T̶H̶ ... UNC ... anyway. 

The aforementioned public records 

Yesterday, the DTH obtained the emails, voicemails and text that Chancellor Folt received on Aug. 20 and 21 (read: the day and day after Silent Sam fell). These messages were overwhelmingly from people who were disgruntled about the statue's forced removal, and many claimed that they were revoking their support of the University — whether emotionally, physically or monetarily. Read the full story here. 

If you'd like to look for yourself, here is the transcript of calls, as the DTH received it, that the Chancellor's Office received on Aug. 21. Though many requested updates and demanded consequences for those who pulled the statue down, others expressed concern for the state of the University, the community and the fact that a woman is running the school. 

Hurricane Florence updates 

To prepare for the storm expected to make landfall within the next day, some officials are taking a look back at Hurricane Matthew and the destruction it caused. 

If you're in town, make sure to read this story about how to stay safe and access resources during the storm. 

Things to do 

Turn around, don't drown. At least, that's what the Town of Chapel Hill wants you to do when it comes to trying to drive in the hurricane. Though the Town will be communicating safety messages throughout the storm, it's best to just stay inside if you can help it. 

"I'm so sick of this rain. Remind me not to take my honeymoon at Niagara Falls." 

Dirty Dancing