DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Welcome back

This afternoon, DTH editors met back in the office after a week of frantic texting, Slack messages and calling for story ideas and editing. If you had asked me two weeks ago if I wanted a week-long break from being in the office, I would’ve climbed to the closest rooftop and shouted “YES!”

But today, I was relieved. 

I was relieved to see everyone come back into the office — I felt the reunion of my sleep-deprived, weird family. I was relieved to fully know everyone was safe and get confirmation that their families were okay. 

It was nice to hear about their lives for the last week and hear about how they weathered the hurricane. I’m glad to be back. 

If you’d like to tell us about your experience during Hurricane Florence, we’d love to hear. Tell us here. 

In the wake of Hurricane Florence 

On Friday, a mother and infant tragically died after a tree collapsed onto their home in Wilmington, N.C. Photographer Jason Armond was at the scene and documented the chaos brought on by the storm. 

About 200 people have sought refuge at the shelter opened at UNC's Friday Center, and for many, this is not the first place they've been since leaving their homes due to Florence. Now, many are wondering about what the next steps are. 

Help those affected by Hurricane Florence, if you'd like. Here's a list of places and ways to give aid to those in need. 

On campus 

"You think they're gonna take that thing down?" "One can hope." On Sept. 14, WRAL released texts and emails exchanged between UNC faculty and administration before and shortly after Confederate monument Silent Sam fell. 

This June, Dr. Andrea Hayes-Jordan started her new role as Chief of the Division of Pediatric Surgery at the UNC School of Medicine and Surgeon in Chief at the NC Children's Hospital. Read more here about her goals for the hospital and research that she hopes to continue, here

Things to do 

Be politically involved! Apparently, it improves your health. 

"So say we all." 

William Adama