DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: To the real ~swim shady~

I lived with my friend Leah two years. We were inseparable in high school, and I lived with her family after my first year of college. In our second year of living together, we decided to take the next step. 

We adopted a fish. 

His name was Swiminem, and we loved him dearly. We decked out his tank, played him music and took family pictures. 

We were heartbroken when he passed away a few months later. In my heart, he'll always be there, in a happy home at Teague Residence Hall. 

Speaking of — are you looking for housing next year that isn't haunted with the ghost of Swiminem? Take some advice from a housing story our editor Rachel Jones wrote her sophomore year. 

In campus news 

About 30 buildings on campus have ties to white supremacy, but after Saunders Hall was renamed in 2015, the Board of Trustees voted unanimously on a 16-year ban on renaming buildings. For many, this ban feels like ignoring the University's history. 

Is it too late to change majors? The Executive Advisory Committee has added a new major: neuroscience. 

In town news

Hurricane Florence has caused widespread flooding across the entire state, including Chapel Hill. Photographer Alex Kormann captured the flooding affecting the community. 

Feelin' hot, hot, hot. This weekend, Pepper Fest will be hosted at Green Meadow Park at Briar Chapel. Included: live music, aerial dance and over 500 pounds of locally-grown peppers. Sheesh. 

Things to do 

Plan a few weeks out. On Sept. 30, the 21st annual Carrboro Music Festival is taking place, including bands Ladies of the Lake and the Magnolia Klezmer Band. 

"You said she like me, I smiled, I know." 

Ariana Grande