DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Boys of fall

I don't understand sports well (read: at all). Going to UNC has given me some knowledge of basketball, but anything else really goes over my head. 

When I was a copy chief for the DTH, I asked the sports desk about terms all the time to make sure they were right. Honestly, I'd have double checked what a football was if I wouldn't have been mocked.

But today marks the start of family weekend, which means that parents from all around will be coming to visit their children after quite a ...erm... tumultuous first month of college. 

If your parents are coming this week (or you're a parent coming to visit your child!) and you need to make sure you're up-to-date, here's a story on first-year quarterback Cade Fortin, who showed great potential in his debut against ECU. 

Sports, they're a thing! 

In August, the Chapel Hill High School varsity football season was cancelled. In the rest of the county, high school football programs have been steadily losing interest, leading to several other programs being shut down. But some still remember the strength of the programs in years past, and the future for football in Orange County remains unclear. 

Finally, something I understand. Jeff Fuchs has been working with UNC bands since 1995, and now serves at the director of University Bands. Since he started, he's been focused on making band a family. 

Moving forward after Hurricane Florence

For students from Wilmington and New Bern, what's going on at home and what's going on at school are starkly different in the wake of Hurricane Florence. Read here to see what some students are doing to show support and rebuild after the storm. 

The IRS, federal government and UNC are offering relief to residents of the counties in NC most affected by the hurricane, including tax relief, federal aid for recovery efforts and flexibility with classes. 

As many begin to recover from Florence, their ability to vote in upcoming elections may be hurt from lower voter turnout, broken equipment and a limited ability to send out absentee ballots. 

Things to do 

Figure out what happened at South Building yesterday. The UNC Students Against Police Brutality held a rally in front of South Building on Thursday afternoon, giving a list of demands to Chancellor Carol Folt and the UNC administration.  

"Texas forever." 

Tim Riggins