DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Are you there, biology department? It's me, Sarah

I once heard that 50 percent of first-years come into UNC as a biology major. I don't really have any data to support that, but it certainly feels true. I remember being a first-year and feeling like everyone was taking Biology 101. I was the only person in my first-year suite that wasn't a biology major at the beginning of the year. 

But get this: I came in a psychology major. I told everyone that I was going to go to med school. And somehow, I really believed it. I told myself that I would actually enjoy going to school for that long, that I wanted to spend my life in the medical field and, God forbid, I was okay with wearing scrubs to work every day.  

That ... dream ... lasted until about November of my first year, when I decided to become a public relations major, which is, arguably, the antithesis of medical school. I picked it because I figured my dream job was working in communications in the fashion industry, and I haven't regretted it since. 

I'm way happier with this choice than I would've ever been trying to pursue medical school. Furthermore, I'm humble enough to know I would've crashed and burned. How I convinced myself that I would still do well as a STEM major despite doing poorly in all math and science classes in high school is beyond me. 

I sincerely hope that there are first-years at UNC right now who are figuring out their true passions and interests this year — even if it wasn't their initial plan. Who knows, maybe they'll find it in the seven new English concentrations that the English and Comparative Literature Department added this year. 

In our community

A large share of housing in Chapel Hill that is located on flood plains is locally or federally subsidized. After Hurricane Florence, many residents are wondering about the future of their homes. 

More women than ever are running for political office in North Carolina. Read more about some of the women on the ballot here. 

The flood-prone town of Windsor, N.C., missed the brunt of Hurricane Florence by chance, and in turn, helped those in need by sending ambulances, firefighters and emergency services. 

On our campus 

At a Faculty Executive Meeting yesterday, Chancellor Folt said that 70 percent of North Carolina residents want Silent Sam back where it was. This was part of broader conversation regarding the Board of Governors' deadline to make a plan for Silent Sam, if the monument could be relocated at all and how the UNC community can voice their opinions. 

Today is UNC's 10th annual First Amendment Day, and in the wake of events of the past year, it feels more pertinent than ever. Look ahead here at some of what's being discussed this year. 

Things to do 

Email Chancellor Folt. Yesterday, the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees said that they have created an email for people to share their suggestions on Silent Sam's future. If you've got an idea, now's your time. 

"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself."

Abraham Lincoln