DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: The ladies of Eastern N.C.

Rachel, our editor in chief, and Bailey, our managing editor, are both from Eastern North Carolina. It's woven into the fabric of their beings; they're so proud of their hometowns. I appreciate that about them. Being from Winston-Salem, I usually just tell people that we have Krispy Kreme and Chris Paul went to my high school. 

But they both have a distinct pride about Eastern North Carolina that feels refreshing. A few weeks ago, Rachel and I went back to her hometown and she was so eager to tell me about where she was from. The next week, when Hurricane Florence hit, Rachel and Bailey were so incredibly concerned with their hometowns and the wellbeing of the people there that it was palpable. 

Each time a story comes into the newsroom about Eastern N.C., they devour it, they talk to the writer about their experience, they ask if a photographer went. Always eager, always appreciative, always proud. It was no different today when investigations writer Emily Galvin came in with a story on hog farming in the eastern part of the state — something that's hotly debated across the region, and was greatly affected by Hurricane Florence

In N.C.

As a pollution lawsuit surges against Duke Energy, another coal ash spill has been reported at a Duke Energy Plant in Wilmington, N.C., likely as a result of Hurricane Florence. Read more about what brought the lawsuit on, and how some plan to move forward, here.

The U.S. House of Representatives has approved legislation to give $1.14 billion in disaster relief in North Carolina. But will that be enough?

At UNC 

Yesterday, representatives from 10 UNC-system schools met in the first Campus Security Committee meeting of the year. In the meeting, the committee discussed systemwide issues involving crime data collection on campuses, and spent time disagreeing on sexual assault reporting — something that can vary by each school, down to what the definition of what sexual assault is. 

The Board of Trustees also met yesterday, and revisited the renaming of Saunders Hall to Carolina Hall in 2015, as well as looked into the composition of UNC's incoming students and prepared for University Day. 

UNC field hockey beat Virginia yesterday, continuing its undefeated season. Currently ranked No. 1, UNC stands at a record of 9-0 for the season, and have only allowed three goals against them. Paired with the unveiling of their newly-renovated Karen Shelton Stadium, the team is shaping up to having a fantastic season. 

Things to do 

Register to vote! The Campus Y and Meantime Coffee Co. are holding a voter registration drive both this week and next to fight low voter turnout. The drive will be at the Campus Y today and tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and you can register to vote at the Meantime all of next week. 

"Here she is, boys! Here she is, world! Here's Rose!"

Rose, Gypsy