DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Thank you in advance for considering my application

I don't have anything to back this up, but I'm pretty sure that applying for summer internships is one of the circles of hell. My sophomore year, I applied to over 60 internships and only interviewed with three companies. Last year, I did so many phone interviews that I became an elevator pitch of myself. 

I thought nothing could be worse, but this year, I was hit with the fact that I actually have to get a job? Never mind. That's worse. Way, way worse. 

I'm currently asking for any and all help I can get. But if you're still an underclassmen, check out this story on how to land your dream internship. 

What happened this weekend

On Saturday, Raleigh held its 30th annual Pride event, where Mandy Carter, a lesbian, activist and Nobel Peace Prize nominee, spoke about how far the community has come and the progress the community has yet to make. 

The field hockey team continues its undefeated season thanks to a stellar defensive effort from the back line. Read more here. 

What's happening this week

Film Fest 919 will be at Silverspot Cinema from Oct. 3 to Oct. 7, featuring 36 independent films from 17 different countries. Though the films aren't made by local filmmakers, proceeds from ticket sales will go back to funding UNC’s Writing for the Screen and Stage and Media Production programs in the Department of Communications. 

The Town of Chapel Hill is taking bids for the reconstruction of Hillsborough Street between East Franklin Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. Reconstruction should begin in the spring. 

N.C. State professor Charles Ludington plans to deliver a statement to the FBI field office in Raleigh today, detailing his relationship with former friend Brett Kavanaugh. The Washington Post obtained Ludington's statement, and Ludington witnessed a belligerently drunk Kavanaugh respond to a semi-hostile comment by throwing a beer at the commenter's face and starting a fight, ending in their mutual friend going to jail.

One good read 

Lillian Chason passed away on Dec. 16, 2009, but her impact on UNC's theater community remains. Her legacy will remain though, through the Lillian Chason Excellence Fund and the Lillian Chason Scholarship, and a fall production each year. Read more about Chason's talent and perseverance in arts editor Molly Looman's story here

Things to do

Get like ... really into the fall spirit. Spring Haven Farm will be hosting their Fall Farm Festival throughout the month of October with pumpkin carving, hay rides, baked goods and baby goats. 

"You wake up, I'm back, eating up all your snacks" 

Big Sean