DTH Sports at a Glance

Good Morning, DTH sports fans.

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

MLS claims three Tar Heels

The MLS Superdraft took place on Thursday, and three North Carolina men's soccer players were selected in the first round. Omar Holness, Jordan McCrary and Jonathan Campbell all heard their names called from the podium by MLS Commissioner Don Garber.

Read Assistant Sports Editor Jeremy Vernon's story here.

'The beast within'

A high tear in her Achilles tendon caused Xylina McDaniel to miss a majority of the North Carolina women's basketball team's 2014-15 season. After recovering from the injury and fighting off others, McDaniel is back this season with a vengeance.

She is playing with an unfamiliar team of walk-ons and first-years, but that isn't stopping her from trying to dominate on the court for her team.

Read Assistant Sports Editor Jackson Cowart's story here.

Yellow Jackets sting Tar Heels

The North Carolina women's basketball team trailed for all of Thursday's game at Georgia Tech until Jamie Cherry made two free throws at the end of the third quarter to give UNC a 57-56 lead.

But after leading by four points with less than four minutes left, the Tar Heels' comeback fell short in an 80-73 loss to the Yellow Jackets.

Read staff writer Kiley Burns' story here.

Looking Ahead

• The North Carolina track and field team competes in the Dick Taylor Carolina Cup on Friday and the Art and Linda Maillet Open on Saturday in Chapel Hill
  • The North Carolina women's tennis team competes in the Freeman Memorial Championship starting on Friday in Las Vegas.
  • The North Carolina fencing team competes in the Penn State Dual Meets on Saturday in State College, Pa.
  • The North Carolina junior varsity men's basketball team plays Vance-Granville Community College at 9 a.m. on Saturday at the Smith Center.
  • The North Carolina men's tennis team faces off against Georgetown at 10 a.m. on Saturday before battling North Carolina A&T at 2 p.m..
  • The North Carolina men's basketball team faces a familiar foe in N.C State at noon on Saturday.
  • The North Carolina wrestling team travels to Blacksburg, Va., to face Virginia Tech at 7 p.m. on Saturday
  • The North Carolina women's basketball team hosts Miami at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday.
  • The North Carolina gymnastics team competes in the Lindsey Ferris Invitational at 1 p.m. on Sunday in the District of Columbia.