DTH Sports at a Glance

Good morning, DTH sports fans

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

Soccer coach Ron Benson has many stories to tell

For 42 years, Ron Benson coached soccer in the Chapel Hill school system. "A hero to many," Benson is an integral part of the North Carolina soccer community. 

Read Senior Writer David Allen's story here

Tar Heels hold on for second straight win

Coming off a win against Boston College, the North Carolina women's basketball team dropped 71 points on the nation's seventh-best defense in a 71-67 win over Virginia Tech. The team built a big lead, then held on as the Hokies roared back, with key free throws from Erika Johnson and Hillary Summers sealing the win.  

Read Assistant Sports Editor Logan Ulrich's story here

Young UNC team learning to close out close games

Bucking a recent trend of giving away games in the second half, the North Carolina women's basketball team jumped out to a big lead over Virginia Tech on Thursday night, then held on to preserve the win. Coach Sylvia Hatchell says she can see her young team maturing before her eyes. 

Read Staff Writer Evan Chronis' story here

Q&A with UNC softball coach Donna Papa

With the start of the North Carolina softball season set for Friday, Coach Donna Papa sat down with The Daily Tar Heel to answer questions about her team's upcoming season, senior Kristen Brown and challenges facing the Tar Heels.

Read Staff Writer Nicole Caporaso's story here

Looking ahead

• The North Carolina track and field team will compete in the Iowa State Invite all day Friday and Saturday in Ames, Iowa. 
  • The North Carolina fencing team will compete in the Junior Olympic Championships in Cleveland, Ohio, all day on Friday. 
  • The North Carolina men's tennis team will compete in the ITA National Team Indoors in Charlottesville, Va., starting on Friday.
  • The North Carolina softball team opens its season in this weekend's Texas Classic in Austin, Texas. UNC plays North Dakota State at 4 p.m., then against Texas at 7 p.m. on Friday. On Saturday, the team will play Texas at 2 p.m. and North Dakota State at 7 p.m. before playing Arkansas at 10 a.m. on Sunday. 
  • The North Carolina women's lacrosse team will play at High Point at 6 p.m. on Friday before playing San Diego State at 1 p.m. on Sunday at Fetzer Field. 
  • The North Carolina gymnastics team will compete against N.C. State and William & Mary at 7 p.m. on Friday at Carmichael Arena.
  • The North Carolina men's lacrosse team will play Furman at 1 p.m. on Saturday at Fetzer Field. 
  • The North Carolina wrestling team will face Pittsburgh at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Carmichael Arena. 
  • The North Carolina junior varsity men's basketball team will play Milligan at 10 a.m. on Sunday in the Smith Center.
  • The North Carolina men's basketball team will play Pittsburgh at 1 p.m. on Sunday in the Smith Center.
  • The North Carolina women's basketball team will play at Florida State at 2 p.m. on Sunday.