DTH Sports at a Glance

Good morning, DTH sports fans

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

'The way it needs to be'

Ever since he was 5-years-old and tossing the baseball with his father on the field across the street from his house, Zac Gallen — a junior pitcher on the North Carolina baseball team — has pushed himself to the limits, leaving it all on the field. 

Now, as he prepares to kick off the Tar Heels' 2016 season against UCLA tonight, Gallen has a new objective — getting his team back to Omaha.

Read Assistant Sports Editor Jeremy Vernon's story here.

A tale of two courts

As the North Carolina volleyball team's all-time leader in total blocks, Paige Neuenfeldt is one of the best players in the program's history.

But with her UNC volleyball career having reached its conclusion, the senior has embraced her new role as a member of the women's basketball team — starting with Thursday's game against Pittsburgh.

Read Staff Writer Blake Richardson's story here.

Coming out flat

The North Carolina women's basketball team recorded one fewer turnover than it did points in the first half of Thursday's game against Pittsburgh, which ultimately defeated the Tar Heels 76-60.

Looking ahead

• The North Carolina swimming and diving team will continue to compete in the ACC Women's Swimming Championships on Friday and Saturday.
  • The North Carolina softball team will compete in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, starting at 5 p.m. on Friday against  Northwestern. The Tar Heels will also face Northwestern at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday before hosting Illinois at 6 p.m. UNC will conclude the weekend by playing the Fighting Illini at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.
  • The North Carolina gymnastics team will compete against George Washington and New Hampshire at 7 p.m. on Friday in Washington, D.C.
  • The North Carolina wrestling team travels to Oklahoma State at 7 p.m. on Friday before visiting The Citadel at 2 p.m. on Sunday.
  • The North Carolina baseball team opens its season with a three-game series at UCLA this weekend. The Tar Heels' first game of the series is at 9 p.m. on Friday. UNC then plays UCLA at 5 p.m. on Saturday and 4 p.m. on Sunday.
  • The North Carolina track and field team will send athletes to three different competitions this weekend. The Tar Heels are scheduled to compete in the Notre Dame Invitational in South Bend, Ind., and the USC Invite in Winston-Salem on Friday. UNC closes out the weekend with the Kent Taylor Invite in Chapel Hill on Sunday.
  • The junior varsity men's basketball team faces the Hargrave Military Academy at 10 a.m. on Saturday at the Smith Center.
  • The North Carolina women's lacrosse team hosts Florida at 11 a.m. on Saturday at Fetzer Field.
  • The North Carolina women's tennis team visits Michigan at noon on Saturday at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
  • The North Carolina men's basketball team faces Miami at 1 p.m. on Saturday at the Smith Center.
  • The North Carolina men's lacrosse team hosts Hofstra at 2 p.m. on Saturday at Fetzer Field.
  • The North Carolina fencing team competes in the Philadelphia Invitational on Sunday in Philadelphia.
  • The North Carolina men's golf team opens play in the Puerto Rico Classic on Sunday at Rio Mar Country Club in Palmer, Puerto Rico.
  • The North Carolina women's basketball team hosts N.C. State at 1 p.m. on Sunday at Carmichael Arena.
  • The North Carolina men's tennis team plays Wofford at 1 p.m. on Sunday at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.