DTH Sports at a Glance

Good morning, DTH sports fans

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

Super sophomores

Both Justin Jackson and Theo Pinson have battled the dreaded sophomore slump at times this season. But recently the two guards have begun to build momentum, which finally exploded during North Carolina's 96-71 win against Miami and was enough to make the usually stone-faced Jackson flash a grin or two. 

Read Assistant Sports Editor Logan Ulrich's story here

Youth plagues Tar Heels in first loss

The North Carolina men's lacrosse team dropped its first game of the season on Saturday, as an inexperienced lineup led to a lack of offensive production and ultimately a 10-5 loss against Hofstra. 

The youth of UNC's attack, coupled with the aggressiveness of the Pride's offense — which put up 35 shots on the day — proved too much for the Tar Heels.

Read Staff Writer Noah Grant's story here.

Too physical

In the North Carolina women's lacrosse team's first three games of the season, just nine yellow cards were handed out by officials. In the Tar Heels' 16-15 loss to Florida on Saturday, 10 yellow cards were doled out between the two teams.

While Coach Jenny Levy credited Florida's talented team, she lambasted officials for their tendency to allow overly-physical play. 

Read Staff Writer Kayleigh Payne's story here.

Late offensive explosion propels UNC

In the finale of its season-opening series against UCLA on Sunday, the North Carolina baseball team allowed the Bruins to overcome a three-run deficit to tie the game at 5 in the sixth inning. 

The Tar Heels had experienced a similar situation the day before, as UCLA came back and won on a walk-off single. This time, UNC stepped on the gas and scored nine runs in the final three innings, eventually winning the game 14-5. 

Read Staff Writer Blake Richardson's story here.

Scoring droughts doom Tar Heels

After jumping out to a 36-21 lead in the second quarter against N.C. State, the North Carolina women's basketball went ice cold, allowing the Wolfpack to close the first half on an 18-0 run.

N.C. State didn't waver in the third quarter, eventually extending its lead to 18 points, a deficit UNC could not come back from.

Read Senior Writer Ben Coley's story here.

Schedule

• The North Carolina men's golf team will compete in the Puerto Rico Classic at Rio Mar County Club in Palmer, P.R. all day Monday and Tuesday.
  • The North Carolina softball travels to UNC-Greensboro to take on the Spartans at 4 p.m. on Wednesday.
  • The North Carolina men's swimming and diving team will compete in the ACC Men's Swimming Championships in Greensboro starting at 4 p.m. on Wednesday. On Thursday, Friday and Saturday the Tar Heels will participate in prelims at 10 a.m. and the finals at 6 p.m.
  • The North Carolina men's tennis team hosts UNC-Greensboro at 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
  • The North Carolina track and field teams will compete at the ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships in Boston all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
  • The North Carolina women's basketball team travels to Charlottesville, Va. to take on Virginia at 7 p.m. on Thursday.