DTH Sports at a Glance

Good Morning DTH sports fans

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

Late game woes plague women's hoops

With the regular season winding down the North Carolina women's basketball team has been unable to capitalize on early leads numerous times. In a matchup against Virginia on Thursday night, UNC took a 13-6 lead midway through the first period, but ultimately couldn't keep the foot on the gas.

The Cavaliers knocked off UNC in a close one, 72-68. The Tar Heels 18 turnovers was the difference in a game that came down to the wire.

Read Staff Writer Blake Richardson's story here.

'A leader for everyone'

Molly Hendrick has suffered quite a few injuries in her day as a lacrosse player, but she's also scored quite a few goals. A season ago Hendrick suffered an ACL tear in the middle of a career-best performance against Louisville. 

The attacker for the UNC women's lacrosse team brings a mix of "unwavering passion" and "ferocious intensity" to her attack, and after being sidelined for eight months, Hendrick is ready to return to form.

Read Senior Writer Ben Coley's feature story here.

Looking Ahead

• The North Carolina men's basketball team will look to keep rolling Saturday in a matchup against a top-5 ranked foe, Virginia. The highly anticipated contest is in Charlottesville, Va. at 6:30 p.m.
  • The UNC women's basketball team finishes their regular season with a matchup in Carmichael Arena against Duke on Sunday at 3:00 p.m.
  • The North Carolina men's swimming team will participate in the ACC Championship over the course of the weekend, with preliminaries on Friday and the finals on Saturday and Sunday.
  • The North Carolina gymnastics team hosts Rutgers Friday evening at 7:00 p.m. at Carmichael Arena.
  • The UNC baseball team hosts Oklahoma State in their season home opener this weekend. The two squads will meet Friday at 3:00, Saturday at 2:00 and Sunday at noon.
  • The North Carolina softball team will be competing in the Carolina Classic this weekend. Their three game stretch will be against Butler at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, IUPUI at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday and Fairfield on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
  • The UNC women's tennis team has two home matches over the weekend. The squad will begin with ACC foe Miami on Friday at 5:00 p.m. and finish the weekend off with Florida State at 1:00 p.m.
  • The North Carolina fencing team is in South Bend, Ind. for the weekend for the ACC Championship. The event will be all day Friday and Saturday. 
  • The UNC women's lacrosse team will host Maryland at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday.
  • The UNC men's lacrosse team will travel to John Hopkins for a match at noon on Sunday.