DTH Sports at a Glance

Good morning, DTH sports fans

Welcome back to DTH Sports at a Glance — your dose of sports news from the student journalists at The Daily Tar Heel. Every Friday, we'll let you know what's coming up and what you might have missed during the week. And on Monday, we'll catch you up on all of the games and news from over the weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Share it with all of your friends who want to keep up with UNC athletics.

Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

A field general in the making

Nine days removed from being pulled in the North Carolina men's lacrosse team's 17-16 overtime win against Duke, Brian Balkam returned to the goal in Sunday's showdown with Virginia.

Back in front of the net, the redshirt sophomore recorded a career-high 14 saves to lead the Tar Heels to a 16-8 victory over the Cavaliers.

Read Senior Writer Mohammed Hedadji's story here.

Packing a punch

North Carolina starting pitchers Zac Gallen and J.B. Bukauskas set the tone in UNC's wins on Friday and Saturday, striking out 13 batters apiece and showing their continued improvement as the Tar Heels' top arms.  

Read Staff Writer Will Bryant's story here.

Ward sets career-high off bench 

The North Carolina women's lacrosse team's next-one-up mentality was once again put to the test on Saturday when starting goalkeeper Caylee Waters couldn't play because of the flu.

But in her teammate's place, senior Megan Ward anchored UNC's defense, recording a career-high 13 saves in the Tar Heels' 15-5 win over Louisville.

Read Staff Writer John Bauman's story here.

Another one for the seniors

Fans gathered at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Sunday to honor North Carolina women's tennis seniors Ashley Dai, Whitney Kay and Kate Vialle. And on their senior day, the three added another win to their already impressive resumes.

Read Staff Writer Jack Frederick's story here.

A senior's guidance

Despite splitting a pair of matches this weekend, senior Brett Clark did all he could to propel the North Carolina men's tennis team to wins — going undefeated in singles and doubles.

Read Staff Writer Kevin Mercer's story here.

Looking ahead

• The North Carolina softball team hosts East Carolina at 6 p.m. on Tuesday at Anderson Softball Stadium.
  • The North Carolina baseball team faces South Carolina at 7:05 p.m. on Tuesday at BB&T BallPark in Charlotte.
  • The North Carolina softball team plays at UNC-Charlotte at 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
  • The North Carolina track and field team starts competing in the Mt. Sac Relays in Norwalk, Calif., on Thursday.