DTH Sports at a Glance

DTH Sports at a Glance: What if she said no?

Hey, psssst. Want to join me on the field for UNC vs. Georgia Tech on Nov. 5? Donate $25 or more to join "Friends of The Daily Tar Heel" and earn a chance to win free homecoming field passes. I'll be your host! It'll be a blast! Please donate!

This weekend was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for North Carolina running back Elijah Hood.

On Friday, he successfully proposed to his girlfriend, Shelby Valeriano. And on Saturday — his fiancee's birthday — the newly engaged tailback rumbled through the overmatched Virginia defense for 107 yards and a touchdown.

But what if she said no?

What if Hood, arrested by the horrors of heartbreak, fumbled the ball on his first two touches and was relegated to sideline duty for the second time in three weeks?

What if UNC's inexperienced offensive line, sans the security of the junior running back, succumbed to the Cavaliers' pass rush and left quarterback Mitch Trubisky high and dry?

What if Bug Howard, handicapped by the hurried throws from his quarterback, couldn't approach the 109 yards and a touchdown that he provided in his honorary No. 13 jersey?

And what if the No. 21 Tar Heels, currently in contention for the Coastal crown, fell to their knees in Charlottesville as any hopes of an ACC championship slipped away?

No matter. On Saturday, North Carolina trounced Virginia in a 35-14 win as Hood and co. staked their claim atop the division standings.

But shout out to Shelby — you're the real MVP.

UNC football earns ninth straight road win

• In honor of injured teammate Mack Hollins, Bug Howard flew through the Virginia defense in a No. 13 jersey.
  • Running back Elijah Hood drew inspiration from his recent engagement to fuel his second 100-yard game of the season.

Stories from the weekend

• The field hockey team dropped its chance at an ACC title with an atypical showing Saturday against Duke.
  • The men's soccer team shut down Marcelo Acuna, Virginia Tech's star forward, to clinch the Coastal Division title on Saturday.
  • The Tar Heels' win over the Hokies was highlighted by the Hume twins in their final regular-season game at Fetzer Field.
  • The volleyball team completely dominated Boston College on Friday for its 21st straight win over the Eagles.
  • And on Sunday, the Tar Heels set its best ACC start in school history with a win over Syracuse.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

@CJacksonCowart