DTH Sports at a Glance

DTH Sports at a Glance: More score and four years ago

Hey, psssst. Want to join me on the field this Saturday when UNC hosts Georgia Tech for homecoming weekend? Donate $25 or more to join "Friends of The Daily Tar Heel" and earn a chance to win free field passes. I'll be your host! It'll be a blast! Please donate!

A lot can happen in four years.

On Dec. 2, 2012, the top song on the radio was One More Night by Maroon 5. Christian Ponder was the starting quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings, and Stephen Curry was a scrawny shooter with bad ankles. Larry Fedora was still a first-year coach with North Carolina and Brice Johnson still had a mustache.

The Tar Heels were also national champions in women's soccer — a feeling this year's graduating class is yet to feel. And if Coach Anson Dorrance hopes to avoid the first four-year skid in program history, UNC will need to make a postseason run for the ages.

Fortunately for the Tar Heels, they're peaking at the right moment after an impressive 3-0 victory over Virginia on Sunday — when the offense showcased its newfound spark and the defense held firm as ever. The win advances North Carolina to the next stage of the ACC Tournament, and it could position the team for a serious run in the NCAA Tournament in November.

And if they win it all in four weeks' time, Adam Levine owes the world another hit single.

Stories from the weekend

• The women's soccer team is rounding into form after its second ACC Tournament win in six seasons.
  • UNC field hockey walloped Appalachian State on Sunday in a primer for the postseason.
  • The women's golf team had a rough showing in Wilmington on Sunday in its fall finale.
  • The Tar Heels suffered their first ACC loss of the volleyball season in a five-set showdown with Pittsburgh on Sunday.
  • The fencing team had a strong showing at the Temple Open in its season-opening weekend.

To sign up for our breaking news alerts or general daily newsletter, visit bit.ly/dthsubscribe. Enjoying DTH Sports At a Glance? Send us your feedback.

@CJacksonCowart