DTH Sports at a Glance

DTH Sports at a Glance: To Infinity and Beyond

<p>Jack Skahan dressed up as Buzz Lightyear as a child. Photo courtesy of Karen Skahan.</p>
Buy Photos

Jack Skahan dressed up as Buzz Lightyear as a child. Photo courtesy of Karen Skahan.

At the ripe age of three, I was a huge Toy Story fan. 

Before my days of dreaming of being UNC's next star point guard, I was a fan of the undisputed coolest character in the Toy Story universe  — Buzz Lightyear.  I played with my Buzz action figure ad nauseam ("turn me over" — only real ones will get this reference), and even took it so far as to pretend to be him.

One fateful afternoon, I convinced myself I could also fly "to infinity and beyond." I took a couple  big leaps on my launchpad (couch) and took off. An all-too-short flight ended with a crash landing into the coffee table and staples in my head. If you have the good fortune to see me today, you'll still see the scar from that incident smack dab in the middle of my forehead. 

I'm not the only UNC junior with good Buzz Lightyear stories. Jack Skahan, a forward for UNC soccer, is another Buzz lover. He also happens to have scored five goals in the last three games. Read about how Skahan transitioned from fun-loving kid to soccer star

Basketball is back

On Wednesday, UNC men's basketball was at ACC Media Day. Here are the five takeaways you need to know ahead of the Tar Heels' season opener.

In a matchup of the last three national champions, UNC played Villanova in a "secret scrimmage" Saturday. Phil Booth lit up North Carolina's defense with 41 points in three periods.

UNC plays its first game at Wofford on Nov. 6, but the NBA season has already begun. Theo Pinson made his first appearance for the Brooklyn Nets, and other Tar Heels around the league made their season debuts.

Good defenders, great stories

Morgan Goetz is a star defender for UNC field hockey, but she dreams of a Ph.D in biomedical engineering so she can change the world

Julia Ashley, a senior defender on the women's soccer team, was motivated to come back from an ACL tear — an injury that often ends careers. 

Dean Dome seating

UNC just created more seats in the lower level of the Smith Center. But, unfortunately, no — none of the new seats are for students.

Beating Duke

Skahan's goal pushed UNC men's soccer past Duke Tuesday night, which was enough for the Tar Heels to clinch the ACC Coastal Division for the fourth straight year.

On Senior Day, No. 1 UNC field hockey beat the Blue Devils, 5-2, securing an undefeated regular season in the ACC.

An ACC Championship

Women's soccer beat Miami, 2-0,  winning an outright ACC regular season title for the first time since 2010.

Looking ahead to the weekend's action

This weekend, UNC football travels to Charlottesville, Va., to renew the South's Oldest Rivalry. Here's that and everything else you need to know about upcoming events in the world of UNC sports.

@holtmckeithan