From the Press Box

UNC to go after 2,000th win on Senior Night

Nothing like having something to play for.

North Carolina will try to become the second basketball program ever to win 2,000 games tonight in the Smith Center against Miami.

Tonight is also Senior Night for Marcus Ginyard, Deon Thompson, Marc Campbell, James Gallagher, Terrence Petree and Thomas Thornton.

Oh, and the Tar Heels' postseason hopes might be riding on tonight's result. A win would guarantee UNC a .500 record for the season, making it eligible for the NIT.

If the Tar Heels don't get that win tonight, they'll be hard-pressed to make it happen at Duke or in the ACC Tournament.

UNC is coming off a 77-68 win at Wake Forest on Saturday. Miami, who joins UNC in the conference cellar with a 4-10 record, lost to NC State Saturday and has dropped three of its last four.

The only other program to win as many games is Kentucky, who notched win No. 2,000 earlier this season.

It will be an eventful game even when the clock isn't running. At halftime, 1993 Final Four Most Outstanding Player Donald Williams will have his jersey honored.

And after the buzzer, there will be a ceremony for the UNC seniors. Pending a win, there might be another for the program's accomplishment.