From the Press Box

UNC hires new defensive line coach

Former Louisiana State special teams coordinator Joe Robinson has been hired as the new defensive line coach for North Carolina football.

The program announced the hire in a press release Friday afternoon.

Robinson is the third person to hold the position since UNC’s first game of the season on Sept. 4. Former associate head coach John Blake resigned from the position on Sept. 5 following the Tar Heels’ first game.

Brian Baker was brought on in January, but left nearly a month later after taking the defensive line job with the Dallas Cowboys.

Robinson worked with UNC defensive coordinator Everett Withers in the 1990s at Southern Mississippi.

“Joe is a great person and an even better coach,” Withers said in the release. “He does a great job with the kids, teaching them the fundamentals and helping them grow through the college experience. He is a great fit for this staff and will help our defensive linemen become better players.”

Robinson led a Tiger special teams unit that dominated the Tar Heels in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff game on Sept. 4. LSU averaged 32.6 return yards per UNC punt and 27.2 return yards per kickoff.

He inherits a UNC defensive line that features Quinton Coples and Tydreke Powell in their senior seasons, as well as incoming freshman and five-star defensive tackle Delvon Simmons.