From the Press Box

Strickland playing through injury

Dexter Strickland has been playing on a faulty knee for the past few weeks, UNC coach Roy Williams said at a press conference Wednesday.

Strickland, who will still play in the NCAA tournament, has had an unspecified knee problem for the past few weeks.

“I haven’t talked to the doctors or anything, but that kid is fighting a lot of things right now,” Williams said. “Everybody’s saying Dexter isn’t doing anything, well gosh, Dexter’s doing a whole lot more than most people would, because most people wouldn’t even be playing.”

Strickland had to choose between getting the surgery immediately and sitting out the rest of the season, or playing on his injured knee, which doctors said would not make the knee injury any worse.

Strickland chose to play.

“Several weeks ago, we discovered that Dexter had a bad problem with his knee,” Williams said. “They could operate on it and he’s out for the season, or he could play with the pain and they do the operation after the season.”

Strickland has started every game this season, and since Larry Drew left the program, has been entrusted with backup point guard duties.

In those ten games, Strickland has averaged 6.3 points and 3.1 assists per game.