From the Press Box

UNC will sport new Jordan's in NCAAs

Michael Jordan has his fingerprints — and footprints — all over North Carolina basketball.

As the Tar Heels take the floor at Time Warner Cable Arena on Friday in their first round game against Long Island, UNC will be sporting custom Air Jordan 2011 shoes.

The new kicks are the latest in the Jordan collection that dates back to the mid-80s. Most players on the team already wear Jordans, with one exception being Harrison Barnes and his Kobe’s.

Air Jordan 2011 debuted in February, and they’re featured in the “Dominate Another Day” Team Jordan ad featuring Dwyane Wade. Team Jordan promotes the shoes as the first performance basketball shoe to feature interchangeable midsoles.

The blue midsole is for the player that would like to be quicker on court; incorporates heel and forefoot Zoom Air Units that give an extra responsive ride. The red midsole is built for players that would like to be more explosive and infuses a 3/4 length Air Unit and Cushlon midsole for an extra cushioned ride.

UNC point guard Kendall Marshall tweeted Thursday “These “quick” soles better work.”

Leslie McDonald has worn the Air Jordan II on several occasions this season. Several players on the team sport the Jordan CP3.IV and Marshall has worn the Air Jordan 2010.

A Team Jordan PR representative said Thursday that the players are not required to wear the shoes but each member of the team received a pair. These shoes are UNC-exclusive and will not be available to the public.

The Tar Heels will hold practice, which is open to the public, today in Charlotte from 4:25 to 5:05.