From the Press Box

Women's soccer: UNC ties Florida 0-0

UNC Senior Amber Brooks (22) dribbles the ball up field against Florida on August 24th, 2012 at Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
Buy Photos UNC Senior Amber Brooks (22) dribbles the ball up field against Florida on August 24th, 2012 at Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

No. 19 North Carolina tied No. 20 Florida 0-0 after 110 minutes of back-and-forth soccer tonight at Fetzer Field.

Neither team was able to score in regulation, and though the two 10-minute overtime periods proved more lively, the game ended in a scoreless draw.

UNC (0-1-1), missing five players due to national team duty and another to injury, was led by seniors Amber Brooks and Ranee Premji. Brooks had three close chances, two of them hitting the woodwork, and Premji doubled as the team’s engine and primary playmaker in the midfield.

Tar Heels midfielder Maria Lubrano scored in the last minute of the first overtime period, but the goal was overturned because she was offside.

UNC will return to Fetzer to play Montreal at 3 p.m. on Sunday.

Of note: The game was the 800th in program history for UNC. Coach Anson Dorrance has been the head coach for all 800 … There was a pregame moment of silence for former UNC men’s midfielder Kirk Urso, who died earlier this month at the age of 22.