From the Press Box

UNC wrestling beats N.C. State, questions rivalry

UNC Sophomore Frank Abbondanza defeats NC State Sophomore Bill Cook 10-0 in the 197 pound bout.
Buy Photos UNC Sophomore Frank Abbondanza defeats NC State Sophomore Bill Cook 10-0 in the 197 pound bout.

Huge.

That’s how associate head coach Cary Kolat responded when asked about the 30-6 wrestling win against N.C. State on Friday.

There’s a saying in sports: any win is a good win. But when that win comes against a rival, it’s a great win.

After North Carolina defeated the Wolfpack for the seventh consecutive time, some of the UNC wrestlers wanted to trash talk a little.

“Rivalry? You call it a rivalry if we win seven in a row,” said sophomore Evan Henderson. “It’s not really much of a rivalry; it’s kind of like a whooping.”

Fellow sophomore Alex Utley agreed with Henderson and sneered at the idea of a rivalry.

“This year, we’re turning the corner,” he said. “We’re starting to pull away and show that we’re the best team in North Carolina.”

Kolat took a more diplomatic and historical approach to the rivalry.

“They’re in our backyard,” he said. “The tradition between these two schools has been here for decades. N.C. State’s a big match for us.”

The Tar Heels certainly have the results to back up their trash talk. The Heels won eight of the ten matches Friday, notching four major decisions and one technical fall among those eight.

UNC didn’t see its first loss until the fifth bout, when sophomore Chris Mears fell to the Wolfpack’s Matt Nereim 11-8.

But following the loss to Nereim, the Heels won in convincing fashion with scores of 12-1, 10-2, 19-3 and 9-0.

Judging by recent trends in the rivalry coupled with the fact that UNC starts no upperclassmen, the Tar Heels have confidence in continuing the recent domination in the series for the foreseeable future.

“They’re trying to stop that streak, and we’re trying to continue it,” Kolat said. “It started decades ago, and it’s going to continue. It’s not going anywhere.”